Thursday, January 19, 2012

OMG! Do I have... Camel Pride??

Ok.. Today was too awesome not to blog about!! I got to leave the classroom!! I don't want that to seem like it was the biggest treat in the world, but it kind of was. That sounds bad.. I'm going to be a teacher; I should like to be in my classroom... However, lest we forget, this still isn't my classroom. I love it there, but I loved today too! Wondering what I did when I was out and about that was so great? I'll tell you!
I visited 4 amazing English teachers in Gillette today. I saw some great lessons, some different classrooms/students/teaching styles, and got some fresh air as I taxied myself all around Gillette! I started off at North Campus (Go Camels! Ha) visiting Mrs. King who was adorable! She has a walk and squawk that I loved. It was a great way to give the students a break while still having them work and build classroom community at the same time. I also got a great idea for teaching resumes from her.. Graphic organizer! Great first pick for visits. Next I snagged some me time and hit up the post office to send a letter, grabbed some lunch, and checked my facebook (oh addictive facebook! ha). Then it was on to Westwood (?) which is the alternative hs. I only saw a little bit of a lesson there (came in at the end of a class), but got a great feel for a different kind of learning experience. Next came Twin Spruce, SVJH's rival! I saw a poetry lesson in a 9th grade inclusion class and loved it! I can't wait to try something like it in my future classes. I ended my day at South Campus with some more Camels. This time in was in Sophomore Eng Retake and the only male teacher of the day. Males and females are so different! Even walking into the room I got a different vibe.. Room decor, teaching style, etc. I got a good taste of a lot of teaching today. It was so fun!
When I got back to SV I told my MT all about it and then ended up talking to her for an hour about the Mormon church! Wow! Talking about my religion really gives me an appreciation for full-time missionaries. Its hard to talk about something so complex and big and important without confusing/freaking out your listener, giving incorrect information, or leaving anything out! I forget about keeping it nursery level.. even for a 20 yr English teacher!
Anyway I ended my day with a trip to the rec center (purchased my 3 month pass.. Whoop!) and some Godfather's pizza. Long day, great day... Can't wait for tomorrow =)

No comments:

Post a Comment