Saturday, January 28, 2012

Friday, friday..!

This last week FLEW by! There were times when I was saying to myself, "Man this class is going by slowly" and others when I thought, "Ah! Tomorrow is already Friday?!" In class I helped the kids go through the published poems that they're going to be presenting next week to help them become familiar enough with them that they'll at least not butcher it completely ;) I got to get a little crazy helping them decide what mood their poem was.. (Getting really excited because I had WON the lottery, and then realllly sad because my house burned down and all the money, along with everything I owned was inside..). I love feeling like I can connect with my students and help them learn something new. It was a blast. In one class I heard the words, "Are you feelin me?" come out of my mouth when checking for understanding. A student behind me answers, "Word." Ha.. Those students are a laugh.. Sometimes they frustrate you to no end, most of the time they make you happy and proud to be a teacher =)
After school my MT and I went to the high school to help judge impromptu speeches at the speech and debate meet. This particular speech is quick and easy, so we were only there for about an hour. Some of the speeches were quite good considering the super crazy topics the participants are given. Following the speeches I went out to eat with another student teacher, and friend, Chris. We went to a place called Pokey's BBQ that has a great Bubba's-like feel to it. I loved it! The food was expensive (we're definitely going for lunch next time to save some moola!), but so good! We had gator for our appetizer.. and yes, it does taste like chicken. Only better! ha.. I loved it and was reminded sooo much of Swamp People (watch that show if you haven't! Its on netflix).. Pokey is a pig that the restaurant is sort of themed around. So the tables have pokey the pig on them and there's a giant pig statue (that I fully intend on getting a pic of sometime) outside of the door. Pokey's BBQ,  a delightful time!
After that we went to an open mic where we met up with another student teacher (Allison). The tech guy from my school (super nice and funny guy) was performing there, so I suggested we go. It was at a place called Bev's Brew that gets their coffee from none other than Coal Creek in Laramie. I felt at home! The open mic was so fun. And Matt's (tech genius) kids are adooooorrable! I loved them and played with them over talking to the adults.. I think I'm missing my job too much! Haha. Chris even got up and sang some wonderful songs. We met lots of nice people and heard tons of great music.
Friday=success! =)

These photos of the places I went last night were all collected by google.. I'm going to start trying to emulate my beautiful sister Charlene a little more and take some pics of my own!! ;)

1 comment: