Monday, February 20, 2012

Valentine's Victory!

So this week I had my first phone call with a parent.. The momma tried to give me advice on how to do my job: "You're only a student teacher, so I'm going to give you a little bit of advice..." But my MT told me I handled the conversation very well, so hurray. Valentine's Day was wild! Students came in bearing gifts from parents all day long. Bears, flowers, balloons, candy, etc. I have some very loved students! They all wanted to be crazy, but I still required them to learn. I think overall they did well! I got a bunch of roses from my sweet momma, a rose from a student I didn't even know, some chocolate, and a giant chocolate apple from my MT. I worked out a the rec center after school and saw an 8th grade ball game before finishing off my V-day with some sweet Arby's!
Biggest accomplishment this week: I FINISHED GRADING THE POETRY PACKETS!!!!! I would have had a huge blowout to celebrate, but I had some business to settle with the last packet. It was turned in last minute by a student who lied to my face (disappointing), and then turned out to be over 75% plagiarized (even more disappointing!). I had to turn the student in, give them a 0 on the packet, and all sorts of goodies.. It was sad for me to see. I hope to avoid allowing that to happen in the future.
The drug dog also did a specific search on my room this week--and came up empty. So the student they were looking to find drugs on got off this time if they do indeed have illegal substances!
We started a new assignment this week. It is a 3 pg (typed) autobiography.. So easy, right? Don't mind if I do write 3 pages all about me, right? WRONG! Grumbling and complaining was much too frequent! Alas, you can't win them all!
After school on Friday, I took off for home. We had a 3 day weekend (Thanks to the great leaders of this country we have had..), so I went home to visit my friend Chris who returned home from his mission a little over a week ago. It was so fun to see him, relax, and have some fun! I got to see my brother play basketball, help my baby sister put on makeup, watch some great movies, get my back readjusted, visit with my wonderful grandmother, see lots of old friends, and more!! Glad you're home Christopher!
Tomorrow it's back to the old grind. Is the end in sight?? ;)
P.s. Sorry for never taking pics!!

1 comment: