Monday, February 27, 2012

Fancy!

This last week was insanely AWESOME!! Let's be honest.. being a teacher is hard. Some days your students are complete pains in the rear end and other days they're the perfect little angels.. Wait.. Let's scratch that and say they're always a mix of both. I hope for more of them to be on the angel end, but this is not always the case. They test me every day, but at the end of most days--with the energy I have left--I feel like I accomplished something.

It was a short week at school; no school Monday and a half day on Friday. (This is the week of Feb. 20-24). My students started writing their autobiographies. They struggled with them more than I thought they would; apparently writing about your own life isn't as easy as I tried to make it sound! I think that they all will do well. They wrote for the entire class hour on Tues/Wed. On Thurs/Fri I walked them through some revisions and let them get started with their typing (at least for A day). I'm anxious to hear what stories they tell about their lives!
OMG.. On Wednesday I sent a student to the office! This student was upset at a grade I gave them on a worksheet. It is true that I had said that I gave completion grades, but this student had an answer that I could not read. Therefore, I marked them down one. This did not please the student and they decided to completely detach themselves from the class--lying down on their desk and even sleeping. I went over to them and said, "Would you please go down to the office." Their reply was, "No, no. I don't need to" Me, "It's not an option; go to the office." Wow!! They were upset, and stomped out. I did not see that student again for the rest of the day. I felt... Like I had done the right thing basically.
Another class decided to quit early and pack up with at least five minutes left of class. I was disappointed to say the least, and I told them this. This may be what I mean when I say pains in the neck versus angels??
Friday came quickly. After a great workout, I  headed home to shower and my sweet visiting teachers came. It was so fun to visit with them and get to know them a bit. I am so grateful to them for taking time out of their busy schedules to visit me and make me feel more welcome here. As soon as they left I rushed off to have some dinner with Chris. After dinner we headed to Bev's for the open mic. The open mic was great!

A guy played some Jack Johnson (LOVE). It got to be more informal at the end with Chris and another girl rocking some tunes; so fun! I also met some new people and had someone I just met ask me to grade a paper for him! Sure thing.. I know some English. Not a big deal ;)
Saturday I got cut off at the gas tank and made myself so upset that I didn't buy gas. How silly of me as it went up just today or yesterday.. Chris and I worked on application/PTSB stuff on Sat afternoon (as well as dinked around on pinterest/facebook/etc.). By 5ish a huge storm hit! I mean huge!!!
And get this... We went out in it! No joke.. We drove clear out to the Heritage Center to watch the talent show. I'm glad we did. It was a BLAST!! Saw the paper boy from the night before.. And watched some great performances. The audience got to vote and my vote was for a woman who sang "Fancy" by Reba. "Here's your one chance Fancy, don't let me down!" She did a stellar job. When the show was over the snow storm was snow blowing horizontally across the sky. Drove in it again.. Wilson (my great car) handled the roads like a pro!
It's Monday once again; the start of another week. Student teaching is about 1/2 way over. Can you believe it? I can't decide if it has gone quickly or slowly.. Either way, it has gone. Teaching is not for everyone, this, I know. However, it might just be for me =))))
P.s. Seriously, next time--real pictures from my camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment