Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Play by Play

Oh Pinedale, Wyoming..
I left after tying up loose ends at school, grabbing a few things at Walmart, locking myself out of my car and having to squeeze my arm through the slot int my window and use a hanger to push the unlock button, and topping off my tank (at $3.36/gal--it's gone up since then). I got to Casper at dusk and topped off again. I felt like I was making pretty good time, but boy was I wrong! The trip took forever!! After it got dark I really struggled to stay awake.. The only thing that truly kept me from falling asleep (besides a few good solo rock-outs) was the fear of a Walker getting me if I crashed into the trees.. Yes, I am afraid of Zombies, even if they aren't real! I got to the hotel and think that I really wowed the first Pinedaler's I encountered.. I looked like crap, bloodshot eyes, and frazzled hair. Sleep did me good!  
I woke up the next morning and ran to the grocery store (Rigley's) to get some shampoo, conditioner, and deodorant (blast my packing anxiety and it's ability to make me forget essentials!). I showered, worked on my portfolio, and watched some TV. Got ready, finished portfolio, went to school. I got there about 15 minutes early and had a lovely chat with the Superintendent's secretary. She explained the process to me and helped calm my nerves. Before I knew it I was following Mr. Fletcher Turcado back to the conference room with water bottle, portfolio, jacket, and notebook in hand. NERVOUSNESS returned quickly. The interview was roundrobin with Turcado and two of the English teachers at the school. I spoke lightning fast, stumbled over my words, got super excited talking about my students, and swatted my water bottle lid off of the table ("Oh dang it!") during the interview. After giving me a minute to ask questions (literally), I was asked to teach a one minute lesson and given 5 SECONDS to prepared!! OMG! 20 seconds into my minute I finally came up with pronouns. I instructed the "students" to listen for what sounded right. My first sentence? "The water bottle is/are empty." Not even pronouns!! Gah!! Walking out with my face burning hot and my nylons sliding down my legs, I tried to consider in what ways that interview would be considered well done.
I called my dad and MT, both of whom reassured me that I did well, and then went driving around the small town for about an hour. I stopped and took some pictures then went back to the hotel.
The next morning I got up around 8 and got ready to head back to Gillette. About 15-20 minutes outside of Pinedale, I saw that I had a message on my phone. It was from Mr. Turcado. He said they were very impressed by me, thought I answered the interview questions very honestly, enjoyed my energy/personality, and believed I was a wonderful teacher. I got 2nd; that means I didn't get the job.
I cried. Alone in my car, while I drove, I shed a few tears. I text my MT to tell her the news and expressed my desire to do better at the next interview! Then I made the executive decision to go home on my way back to Gillette. I pulled in to my parent's driveway just before 3. I surprised everyone, and had a wonderful time with my family that night. I got to see my friend Christopher as well (which is usually a good time;).
Driving back to Gillette on Sunday afternoon, I was anxious to get all of my work done. It's crazy to think that I only have one month left at Sage Valley. It feels like it will go by quickly, and I can hardly believe that I will be leaving so soon.
Already thinking about summer jobs, a place to live, enjoying the summer, seeing all of my friends.. Mostly though, I'm wondering what my future looks like!! What if I don't get a job? That would be so sad!! Then again, what if I do get a job?!
Big decisions lie ahead......




Above.. Pictures of High School, etc. Below.. Pictures of my hotel room after less than 24 hrs!






My wonderful brother! =))

1 comment:

  1. Oh Sam. I love reading about your adventures. You are amazing

    ReplyDelete